Wednesday, March 21, 2007

As God is My Witness...


I made it to Atlanta. Finally. I left my house at 8 am and one shared limo ride, one 2 hour flight delay, two episodes of This American Life, two screaming babies, an hour and a half in the air and a cab ride later....I finally made it to my hotel around 5:30 pm. I didn't meet any rappers yet, but I also haven't really had a chance to get out and about. I also forgot (I'm not sure how) that "Designing Women" was based in Atlanta. I would settle for meeting a Sugarbaker...or Delta Burke.

Speaking of TV...because why wouldn't I be watching TV? I wonder how much more it would cost hotels to just go crazy and get extended cable in the rooms. They have the wierdest channels. At least I have A&E and Bill Curtis.

It's really warm and nice here. The cab driver said they had a really nice winter, no snow, no ice...It made me jealous.

One of the women I am with has never traveled for work before. For starters, she is one of the most annoying people I've encountered in a while...but being with her for 9 hours today was very trying. I'm having a hard time dealing with her. On the way to the hotel, she whispered at what a "bad neighborhood" we were in...I wanted to remind her that we were in Atlanta, not St. Charles and not to be alarmed, but...African American's do make up a majority of the population here. Then, at dinner this evening, she made the waiter re-do our bill because her entree was a dollar more than it was listed on the menu. A dollar. I was so embarrassed. Everyone at the table (there are a total of 4 of us) told her not to make a big deal out of it...but she did anyway. I tried to bite my tongue, but I think I ended up snapping at her. So I decided I'd split up the bill 4 ways and I gave him a big tip and she said "well, I guess he ended up getting an extra 3 dollars, so it didn't matter that had him take the dollar off." What is wrong with people? I failed to mention that she announced as we sat down for dinner that this was the first Wednesday in 24 weeks that she missed her bible study. WWJD if he was overcharged a dollar on his bill. For sure he would ask them to take it off....It was a wonderful dinner at a really nice restaurant and she was freaking out over a dollar...which she wasn't even paying for!!!

She's also never been to an ATM.

I have a smoking room. Tomorrow...I buy cigarettes. It's necessary.

As of right now though...things are looking up. I'm not in St. Louis, I haven't gotten berated for having a liberal arts degree yet, and it's only the first day but I've yet to be proposed to by a toothless black man in a silky budweiser shirt...although I did get visually undressed by a couple dudes setting up the exhibits...flattery will get them everywhere.

Tavis Smiley is on. I have to go now.

Tomorrow, exhibit day 1. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers...but don't you dare ask me for your dollar back, bitch.

No comments: