Saturday, January 9, 2010

I wasn't really that into you...really.

**Update**

I have now seen this movie a handfull of times, thanks to HBO and the fact that there was nothing but reruns on over the past month.

Here are my thoughts:

Overall, I did like it. I knew I would. There are some cute moments and I sure have known someone who reminded me of most of the characters.

This movie strengthened my dislike for both Kevin Connelly and Scarlet Johanssen. Kevin Connelly has always annoyed me on Entourage and he pretty much played the same unlucky in love schmuck in this movie as well. Scarlet Johanssen is just annoying period, and I hate her lips. At least they portrayed the fact that sometimes...just sometimes...chicks are not that into dudes either and dudes are annoying and don't get the picture.

It also however fueled my ever growing love for Gennifer Goodwin. Even though her character GiGi was the kind of girl you want to take into your arms and shake the shit out of while telling her to snap out of it, she was adorable none the less and I want to move into her apartment and steal her wardrobe.

I don't really know how the movie applies to the "lessons" of the book, because as I mentioned below, I would not touch that book with a ten foot pole. It was entertaining though, and I'm sure in years to come, when I see it on TNT or TBS on a Saturday I will end up watching the whole thing and not taking a shower until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. It's just that kind of flick.

I am sort of disappointed that I didn't hate it. I always wanted a reason to write an expose...

Original post from 2/3/09:



I have officially been courted, woo'd, and bedded by this "He's Just Not That Into You," movie. I can't believe it. I hate myself for it, but I can't, as in CAN. NOT. help but be drawn to it. The stupid commercials are funny and charming. There are very attractive young actors in it. The stupid songs in the commercials are good. My two favorite Jennifer (Gennifer)'s are in it. I actually want the soundtrack!!!!

Perhaps you don't get it. Maybe you don't understand. Well let me explain...

When this stupid book came out like 4 years ago, I saw the authors on the Oprah show and I was horrified at what they were preaching to American women. So much so that I actually ORDERED the transcript of the show because I was going to write this big ol' expose on why this book is a piece of shit and why women in America are way smarter than these people are making them out to be. I mean I realize there are some pretty dim broads out there, but these women in the audience were like crying and shit and this guy was seriously warning them not to "waste the pretty" because pretty soon they will be dried up old hags with no prospects and living with thier elderly grandmother and her seven cats.

I don't know exactly why it enraged me so, but it did. I think it's because I have never been an idiot woman, and I feel like this book--and of course Oprah--were making the female population out to be huge dummies. I don't know about any other women, but I have dated more guys who I just wasn't that into and who didn't get the picture either! I don't understand why it has to be Him who is not into Her. Men are not really that good at picking up signals either, believe me!

Well, I never wrote that expose, hell, I never even read the transcript. But, the one thing that held true for all these years was my hatred and disgust for this book, the authors--specifically Greg Behrendt, and lastly, for the fact that women need an effing book to actually TELL them that when a guy doesn't call them it's because he doesn't like them??? WTF else would it mean? I get it, it made for a great episode of Sex and the City, but that is a TV show!

So, after years of holding on to this bitter pill about this book and the ideas surrounding it, the movie comes along and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I look forward to the next time I see it (or at least previews of it). My ears perk up when I hear a song from it's soundtrack. I'm like a love sick teenager.

Maybe I'm becoming soft in my old age, but I feel like I should give it a chance. If I hate it, I can always dig out that Oprah transcript and start my expose...better late than never right?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have to say, I feel the same way. Not about the movie or the sound track but that I cannot believe that women are that dumb to not figure things out. I know I haven't neen 'out there' Ive been with the same guy for almost 9 years, whatev... still. GET A CLUE... The movie that got me, sadly, is P.S. I Love you. I need this soundtrack. I love this movie. I bought this movie. I cry every time I see it. Its sad and probably the girliest part of me. BUT, I can only hope that the person I love, loves me half as much as that man loves that woman... God I hope he does.... If you haven't seen it. Get your box of tissues, you're gonna need it. We can watch it while the guys are at the skate park.

Kathryn said...

Dude, I have seen P.S. I love you and I cried the ENTIRE freaking time, like to the point that I had a headache afterwards! Lord. It's a good one though! I'm looking forward to visiting in less than a month now! Wee!